menu

Club History

The Kiwanis Club of Decatur, Alabama was chartered as one of 7,700 clubs in 80 countries in 1920.  Our motto is "Serving the Children of the World".

J. Walter Clopton (Our First President of Kiwanis Club of Decatur)

A Short History Lesson:

  • The Kiwanis Club of Decatur is the city's oldest civic club.  In the year 1919, thirty men from the then Town of Decatur and thirty men from then the Town of Albany met together for the avowed purpose of achieving the consolidation of those two warring and divisive municipalities.  These were foresighted leaders dedicated to building a better community for themselves and for those to come after them.  Membership was originally limited to sixty men.  At times there was a waiting list for membership.  When Kiwanis International discovered the sixty member limitation, some 15 or 20 years later, they required the Decatur club eliminate that cap. 
  • Eventually in 1927, after tireless effort and Kiwanis influence in the state legislature, Decatur and Albany were united into the existing city of Decatur.  It is safe to say that the consolidation was brought about by the Kiwanis Club of Decatur.
  • In 1966, the Kiwanis Club of Decatur hosted their First Annual Pancake Day event, cooking pancakes and sausage with a smile for the area supporters.  Over 50 years later, this tradition continues.  During this time, our Kiwanis club has raised over $1,000,000 allowing us to support a variety of worthwhile projects that directly benefit children in our local community.